What do you see in the jumble of junk in the images above?
One of the things the Yankee and I envisioned was a lamp—
patiently awaiting its creation.
As you might have guessed by now, we have amassed quite a collection
of salvage bits and pieces during our many scouting trips
through, and dismantling of, old houses, barns, and buildings, and from
our frequent visits to our favorite junk yards.
The Yankee jokingly quips that our barns are virtual Cline's
starter kits. Truthfully,
much of the goods have come from there—including the
chippy baluster above.
When the Yankee spotted it,sometime ago, he instantly foresaw
a lamp transformation in its future.
I'm quite fortunate to be married to a man who owns every tool ever invented.
OK, so that's a slight exaggeration. But, not much of one—
although the Yankee would say differently.
The drill press, pictured above, was instrumental in drilling the hole
necessary to house the electrical wiring for the lamp's cord and socket.
If the supply of tools around your house is not as abundant
as that of The Brambleberry Cottage, and you lack a drill press, a good quality
hand drill will do—as long as it is one that will accommodate the extra long
bit...in this case, 12". Just be sure to adequately secure the piece to be drilled in a vice,
so it will not shift.
Once you have drilled the base of the piece you're using for your lamp,
you can proceed to the other steps involved in its construction.
This small brass base was another piece picked up at Cline's. It was
originally chosen to be used as the base of a decorative, miniature birdhouse.
That was not to be its destiny, however.
The Yankee found it to be a perfect fit for the chippy baluster...
and the rest is history.
I choose a piece of vintage decorative molding from our
stash as a bit of embellishment for the base.
After cleaning all the components, each piece was given a dose of one of the two main staples for most of our current makeovers—Rust-oleum Oil Rubbed Bronze
spray paint and Deft satin finish lacquer.
I absolutely love the look these two products impart and, consequently, use them often.
In this case, the ORB spray paint was used on the brass base and
the Deft on the molding and baluster.
The same paint was also used on the decorative fitting connecting the baluster
with the electrical socket, the lamp harp, and the finial. I felt that doing so
would give the lamp a more cohesive appearance.
While I was pulling together all those little details, the Yankee was
cutting the baluster base down to make it more pleasingly proportionate
for the piece we were creating.
I found this gorgeous beaded lamp shade, quite some time ago, at one of our
local thrift stores for only $5.00! It was still in its factory wrapping and wore its
original price tag from one of my favorite retail stores—
T. J. Maxx Homegoods. ; )
At the time, I purchased the shade with no specific project in mind,
but I was confident that it would be put to good use..
Once all the pieces to the puzzle were in place...
a jumble of junk morphed into a thing of beauty.
Others' trash became our treasure!
and new Pink Saturday participant. I was first introduced to the incredible
creativity of this lady when I discovered her on eBay a few years ago, as I was starting up my own
eBay business. She creates such beautiful home decor items.
Please be sure to visit her and tell her you came by way of Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage.
Since we used some funky junk for this little creation, let's visit Donna
for Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special.
I'll also be showing off this pretty pink shade at Beverly's
for Pink Saturday