LIFE AT THE COTTAGE

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Wasn't It Just Yesterday


Wasn't it just yesterday...


 I was rocking you to sleep as a baby in my arms...


and swinging you on the playground after Sunday School?

Wasn't it just yesterday...


that you thought every character at Disney World was your very best friend?


Your zest for life and sweet spirit
 made the toddler and preschool years pure joy.


Remember when you dressed up as Laura Ingalls
for one of our many homeschool events? 

I cannot believe how fast those twelve years flew by!


What a precious little ballerina you were. 
Wasn't it just yesterday you were taking lessons?


Then at the blink of an eye,
 the teen years we upon us.


And I found myself taking lots of
deep breaths and praying—even more—


especially when you got your first car...


and went to your first dance alone with a guy—in his car.


Wasn't it just yesterday that you were
sitting on your dad's lap as he read to you? 

By the time your prom came around, you were as tall as him.


The day of your graduation,
I could not contain all the emotions welling up within me. 

My baby was graduating,
and our homeschool days would be no more.


As I have watched you blossom into
a beautiful young woman...


my heart has yearned for days of old,
when I would hold you in my arms and sing silly, childish songs with you.


But those days will never be again.

Now, you have given me a precious granddaughter...


who in many ways helps me to see you...
as you once were.

In my heart, you will always be my little girl,
and now...
you are also my special friend!


I love you Asheley Elizabeth!  Happy 23rd Birthday! 



Sharing at Beverly's Pink Saturday.

Be sure to visit Jeanette at Good Mornin' Beautiful and let her know you found her by way of the Brambleberry Cottage.


10 comments:

  1. This is very sweet, Liz! Happy Birthday to your daughter. My first grandchild due this Summer is a girl, and I'm sure I will be seeing my daughter all over again when she's here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't granddaughters the best? I had to blog about my granddaughter this week after she spent the day with me. Sometimes you just have to share your love or it will burst forth. Birthday wishes to your daughter.

    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so very sweet! Happy Birthday to your daughter from me too! Our children really do grow up so very fast! Our grand children and great grandchildren too! Time nowadays is just zooming by it seems!

    Blessings,
    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful post. Happy Birthday to your daughter! I'm looking forward to seeing my children this summer especially my youngest daughter who has been in Australia for over a year. I hope you have a wonderful day...take care. Maura

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very special birthday to your daughter. I know what a treasure she is to you - and she is lovely. Our children are such great blessings.

    Happy Pink Saturday, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sweet and loving! forgot to sign up ahead of time for the pink party, so I'm leaving my pink link and hoping that you'll drop by soon. Have a fun weekend! until later...

    http://www.livelaughmakesomething.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope my little guy doesn't grow up too fast... but they always do don't they? *sigh* Thank you so much for featuring me. Today was my lucky day! I was featured, I got a new friend, and I won a giveaway. Plus I spent the whole day with my husband and son. God truly blessed me today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhh, this post just took my breath away. What a beautiful daughter. Your love for her just jumps right off this screen. Both of you are very blessed to have each other.
    HAPPIEST BIRTHDAY TO YOUR DAUGHTER.
    **
    I, too, go thru photos of my two babies and my heart swells so big and overflows. I, too, would give just about anything to rock them in my arms again. THEN...10 grands showed up and my rockin' days started all over again. Now THEY are too big to rock. *sigh...well, we have one great now, so I will enjoy rocking her.
    Again...Happy Birthday to the Birthday Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, this post made me tear up! The time with our children goes by much too quickly. How blessed you are to have not only a beautiful daughter, but a granddaughter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very late, but a belated Happy birthday to you ... the mom, the dad, and the daughter. What a blessing! And, can't forget the granddaughter! She gets a happy birthday for her mom ... cuz ... without her ... Happy Birthday Y'all! :) Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to comment.