LIFE AT THE COTTAGE

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Time Travel Thursday #31 - Now It's My Turn


"We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories.
Some take us forward, they're called dreams."
~Jeremy Irons~


Welcome to the 31st Time Travel Thursday linky party at the Brambleberry Cottage.
Are you ready to share your fondest memories, grandest dreams,
and most creative projects? Great!


A few weeks ago, I showed you the Yankee's first junk jewelry creation.
So this week, I thought I would share mine.

If you remember, the inspiration for his design originated with a vintage
trunk hinge.  As I scoured our numerous boxes of old furniture odds and ends,
looking for my own inspiration, I happened upon
 this fabulous vintage furniture pull. 

I absolutely loved everything about it—its shape, scale, patina...
especially the patina.

It would be my jumping-off point.


Once I found the pull, I moved on to my stash of jewelry bits
and pieces.

This antique watch fob chain had the look I was going for but wasn't anywhere
near long enough.  Hmm...what to do?


After plundering through a few more boxes, I discovered this old
chain belt—well, part of one, anyway.

I had tossed this in a "will do something with this one day" box,
many years ago.  And believe me, it was long before repurposing
junk pieces for jewelry was even popular.


I wanted to add a few girly embellishments to my creation, to soften
the hard lines of the other pieces.

This old mother-of-pearl shoe clip caught my eye—and, of course,
there was only one.


Then I decided a bit of bling was in order, as well.

This 1950s aurora-borealis-rhinestone button and vintage clip-on earring were
 perfect for what I envisioned.


A quick shuffle through another box unearthed this old keychain.  I liked
the heart and key and decided it would be a
sweet addition to my repurposed piece.

Originally, I had thought of using the complete vintage furniture pull. 
But, once I decided to add the jewelry pieces,
I took it apart.

The escutcheon made a perfect background for the shimmery button, and the pull 
went back in my "someday" box.   ; )

AS VIEWED ON A MINIATURE MANNEQUIN
And here's my first junk jewelry creation.

I wanted to create something that would compliment the Yankee's piece,
so the two could be worn together.


I think they play nicely together, don't you?   ; )


Linking to these fun parties:
and Stephanie Lynn's Sunday Showcase Party.

22 comments:

  1. "You did good" girlie...I like the necklace...my gal pals and I have been wanting to do some jewelry using found objects...like the way you did the step-by-step thing...
    From one Southern girl to the other...keep on doing what ya doing...The Cranky Queen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are so creative !
    Hugs,
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for hosting the party. Sorry... Can you please delete my extra links? The Linky kept "looping" and it didn't seem like it worked. I am around link 9. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - I just posted #12 a dress up center I made out of an old armoire my kids used. Thanks for hosting, I know there is a cost now - and we really appreciate the parties!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog! The necklace is wonderful!! Makes me want to get busy w/ my 'junque'. Can't wait to see what you do next. Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe your jewelry design is perfect for the steam punk movement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love your blog. Taking something old and creating something new is fabulous. I am new on the block. Just learning the ropes. great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that's purely amazing!!! I love it. Couldn't wait for Time Travel Thursday!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Liz,you are so creative, I love it:-)
    Thanks for hosting, hugs Biljana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay jewelry making lady. Most excellent ensemble. How can you go wrong? Rock on L.

    xo Jeanne.http://beeskneesbungalow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. That jewelry came out GREAT! Thanks for hosting this link party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a great job - Pretty!
    I am working a a necklace now that I had to walk away from for a while. I have a tendency to over think a project some times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! You are so creative!This has inspired me. Now I have something else I want to try. My sleep time is getting less and less, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the old drawer pull. But also admire and like the results of the jewelry making explanation. I would wear that.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are one amazing and remarkable lady. You are the first I have seen that takes things like this and turns them into a piece of beauty. Job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahh branching out to be a jewelry designer now huh? Is there nothing you can't do? :) I like your style lady.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the junky jewelry! Thanks so much for linking up to Beyond The Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will definitely visit your etsy store. Great ideas with the Junky Jewelry. I'm so amazed with the creativity out there in blog-land! Thanks for sharing! ~CJ

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are beautiful! So unique! Great job, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  20. seriously creative. I would have never in a million years put this together, but I would buy it in a second - LOVE it! -diane
    http://www.sweeteuropeandreams.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very clever creation! I find these type of junklaces (for necklaces) are fun to drape over lamp shades to give your room decor a little bit of fun.

    God Bless,
    julie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to comment.