LIFE AT THE COTTAGE

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Time Travel Thursday #45 - A Cherry Disposition


Welcome to the 45th Time Travel Thursday linky party at the Brambleberry Cottage!

Are you ready to do some traveling? Great; 'cause time never stands still!


I've been eagerly awaiting this very special time of year at the cottage—the beginning of harvest season.

Though we grow a variety of delectable apples, blackberries, peaches, pears, and plums, it will be months still before we get to savor the fruit of all that labor.  ; )

CHERRY BLOSSOMS—1st WEEK OF APRIL

But...
this IS the time of year when the cherries start to ripen and can be carefully plucked from the thin wooden branches.

EARLY CHERRIES—3RD WEEK OF APRIL

It's a delightful experience to observe all the amazing changes each of the fruit varieties go through, during their awe-inspiring transformations. 

But since we're talking about my cheery cherries, let me show you what they look like in transition.

EARLY CHERRIES—3RD WEEK OF APRIL

Unfortunately, I'm not the only one who carefully watches their metamorphosis and eagerly awaits their ripening.

By the time the young cherries begin to appear, scores of little feathered thieves start taking up temporary residence, hiding in neighboring trees.

CHERRIES BEGINNING THE RIPENING PROCESS—1ST WEEK OF MAY

A WEEK LATER

Once the cherries reach the point where red is the predominant color, the songs, chats, and calls of these cunning creatures reach an almost fevered pitch.

Are they gleefully announcing to the world that dessert will soon be served?

SEVERAL DAYS LATER—AFTER A RAIN

After days of rain, these lucious little blushing bobs have been thoroughly cleansed and are quite ready to be gently picked from their perches.

Today

The old weathered-wood ladder is in place and my extra large vintage colander is now ready to be filled to the brim with delicious, cheery, red orbs.

VINTAGE COLANDER


Tomorrow will be the first sunny day we've had in days, and I will be up at dawn's first light, in order to beat the birdies to the goods—so I can do this...



and this...


I only hope there are no feathered fiends working the night shift tonight!  ; )

Linking to Susan's for Metamorphosis Monday, Mary's for Ruby Tuesday, Susan's for Outdoor Wednesday, Mary's for Share the Love Wednesday, Sue's for Rednesday, Suzanne's for Vintage Thingie Thursday, Tracie's for Cottage Flora Thursdays, Cindy's for Show and Tell Friday, Deborah Jean's/Amy's for Farmgirl and Farm Friend Friday, Tricia's for Photo Feature Friday, and Amy for Homestead Revival.


IF YOU LINK TO THE PARTY, PLEASE BE SURE TO LINK BACK TO THE BRAMBLEBERRY COTTAGE ON YOUR BLOG.

37 comments:

  1. That photo of the cherries in the bowl is amazing! And the next one with the sugar... yum! Thanks for hosting --
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that vintage colander, and the cherries are making me hungry. Beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Climate differences are fascinating. Our cherry tree is just now blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what pure beauty!!! I love seeing that spring has "sprung" and your beautiful edible treasures!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Those cherries looks delicious. Makes me hungry for fresh cherry pie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post, great pictures.
    Love, love the vintage colander.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  7. My gosh, what gorgeous pictures of the entire process! Love those cherries! Thanks for hostessing this party ~ I've just linked up!!

    Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm ready for dessert. I love the picture of the ladder with the colander on top. I sure hope the birds don't beat you to all your cherries in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those photos look like something out of a movie Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the vintage colander! And those cherries are so beautiful! We have an old cherry tree and have no idea what kind they are. I do know that they are a sweet cherry. Ours are just finishing "loosing" their flowers/blossoms so we're quite a bit behind you for cherry harvesting!

    ~Chris

    PS do you know what kind of cherries you have? Just curious...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful images! The cherries look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love cherries and I have never been fortunate to see them actually growing so I really enjoyed this post. I am amazed at the abundance of the fruit...the trees are loaded down. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful post! I love cherries and yours look delicious...I bet they make a wonderful pie or dessert. What a great colander and I love that ironstone bowl...gorgeous. I hope you have a wonderful day!
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love cherries! Healthy and tasty fruit.
    The photos are beautiful.

    I wish you a pleasant day:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photos and fruit are gorgeous!!! They look delicious! Enjoy the harvest.
    Glad to be joining your party today. Thanks for hosting.
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would certainly enjoy the fruit of your labor.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love cherries, your photos are gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All those cherries looks really good to me.I need to see where you are at because we just had 38 degree weather and no cherries here ready

    thanks for this fun Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your blog is wonderful.
    I found it through blog hop which I think is a great way to hook up with others ! I am another happy follower. Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your vintage ladder and colander! Your cherries are just beautiful. I know that feeling of trying to beat the birdies.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love cherries! We used to pick them when we would visit my Aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Growing up, we had a cherry tree in our back yard! In addition to climbing up into it, we kids always got to pick the fruit. My favorite pie is still cherry! You're right- the birds love to nibble... Love the shot of the cherries in the white bowl! Thanks for hosting!
    ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wait .... let me wipe the drool. Yummy looking cherries there. Waiting a cherry pie now....

    ReplyDelete
  24. The cherries look so great and delicious! Thanks for hosting this fun party to join!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are beautiful...Wouldn't that be nice in the yard here! We have one lonely peach tree which yielded 36 pints of peaches last year but only one or two peaches a year since we've been here. Love the post and the reds and whites ... and especially the colander! Nice!
    You know what? I had my comments set for only WordPress logged in users. DUH! It should be open now. Thanks, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh how I loved this post! It brought back wonderful memories for me. When we used to visit my in-law's we'd pick cherries from their tree up in the Ozarks.
    After they passed-- I saved some pits to grow cherry trees from their farm-- but they wouldn't grow. I was so sad. Is there a trick to growing them from seed?
    I still have them in the dirt! but nothing.

    Thanks for showing your tree and old colander.It gives me such a good image in my mind, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks so much for linking up this post to my Share the Love Link Party. Have a great weekend!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  28. That bowl of cherries is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. How yummy everything looks! Thank you for the invite and for following me at Dandelion House!I'm your newest follower!
    Glad you linked up for Farmgirl Friday!
    Have a great weekend!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous!!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your cherries and your fun party! Thanks for hosting!
    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh lucky you! Look at all the cherries. I love the photo with the colander. Thanks for sharing your post at Photo Feature Friday :)

    ~tricia

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks so much for linking up to Cottage Flora Thursday's - those cherries look delicious! xoxo, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your images are amazing. The old colinder reminds me of my mother! BTW I'm a NC girl too, transplanted from Georgia via Alabama. Living in the foothills east of Asheville. And I use the word "girl" as in female...as my grandson says, "my white-haired granny."

    ReplyDelete
  35. This post was a real feast for the eyes! Not only do the cherries look yummy, but the other photos are simply delicious. What a wonderful photographer you are!
    Happy REDnesday,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love your photos! I especially liked the lovely butterfly as my senior mom is really into enticing decorative butterflies to join her flowers and veges for gardening. She'll love this photo. Thank you for a lovely Rednesday visit.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh, you made my day! Someday I'd like a cherry tree. Actually, I don't know if we can grow them up here. So far I have blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and two new peach trees!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to comment.