LIFE AT THE COTTAGE

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tips and Tricks Tuesday #18 - Savvy Salvage Shopping Tips



A few weeks ago, a blogging buddy, Tammy @ Tattered & Timeless, e-mailed to let me know she would be making her very first trip to Cline's Country Antiques


She asked if I would be interested in showing her "how to do the place justice."

Being one who likes to lend a helping handwhen possibleand never wanting to turn down an opportunity to go junkin', I said I would tag along.


As you can see from these images, Cline's Antiques offers more than your typical "antiques" shopping experience.

If you've been following my adventures here at the cottage, you know that this just happens to be my favorite junkin' spot.

Andfor the past fifteen yearsit has also been a place where the Yankee and I have found numerous diamonds in the rough.

Being somewhat of a veteran salvage shopper, I thought I would pass on to Tammy some tips on how to make her visit to Cline's safer, more productive, and more enjoyable. 

And now, I'll share them with you, my other junk-lovin' buddies! ; )


If you intend to do more than browse from the sidelinesat a place like Cline's Antiqueswearing a comfortable, but sturdy pair of shoes is a must.

These thick-soled boots are the ones I wear for this type of adventure, no matter the season.

Walking in, around, and on top of mounds of salvage can present a hazard, if you're not properly protected.


Do you like rusty, crusty "stuff"?  Me too!

And a good, thick pair of gloves come in handy when plundering through piles of itto find that perfect piece or two.

Wearing clothes in layersthat can be removed, if need beand ones that you don't mind getting dirty, and possibly even torn, is also advised.


In addition, I like to carry a small backpack along, with a few other necessities,
like...


a bright flashlight, for searching out all those treasures tucked away in barns and buildings...



a small notepad and pen, for jotting down where the larger pieces arethat I want to "think about"...


and a little magnifying glass, for getting a closer look at maker's marks on smalls.


These vintage 1920s beekeeping pamphlets were a reminder to me to caution you to look out for bees and waspssomething you probably wouldn't be in-Cline-d to think about as you're plundering through piles of junk.

And speaking of smalls...

a clean, empty plastic "mud" bucket makes a terrific carrier for tiny treasures, in a place like Cline's.


And this is a must-have!

Okay, I know your laughing now.

But you won't be if you find yourself here...


without it!


I like to carry a travel pack of baby wipes along, as well, since there's no access to clean running water.


Make sure to bring your favorite beverage of choice...


something to snack onlike the wholesome goodness I pluck from my own fruit trees...

and plenty of cash, for all the goodies you're sure to find.

Then you'll be totally prepared to spend the whole day at Cline's Country Antiques,
 or any other salvage yard, digging for treasure.


11 comments:

  1. My goodness...it sounds like a camping trip!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I want to go!! This is my type of place. How are their prices? This would be such a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! Those type of places are fun, but you do have to be careful. Looks like there are lots of treasures there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent advice! I wish I lived in your neck of the woods -- Clines looks like a fun place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good gosh it is a major expedition but looks so worth it. It must be so much for to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks again Liz for helping me navigate Clines my first time. My hubby can't wait to go so we'll have to plan a time to meet again with the menfolk in tow.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a great place! I would love to have something like that nearby to "shop" at!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, I so want to go there!!! I wish we had a place like this near me! In the mean time I had better suit up to be ready! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my---I wish I lived in your neck of the woods right now! That looks like the funnest place to dig around and find treasure! I'm super duper jealous and if I ever find myself in your area, I will definately be stopping in at Cline's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, I love it!

    Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post! Like you, I do like to be prepared for anything, and these tips are invaluable.
    Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to comment.